17 October 2013

BOOK REVIEW: Analog Science Fiction and Fact, December 2013

Analog Science Fiction and Fact, December 2013 (Vol 133, No. 12)Analog Science Fiction and Fact, December 2013 by Trevor Quachri
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

Analog Science Fiction and Fact, December 2013, Volume CXXXIII No. 12
Trevor Quachri, editor
Cover art by Mark Evans

Serial
"Lockstep", part I of IV, by Karl Schroeder 

Novelettes
"Chorus Line" by Daniel Hatch
"Ian, George, and George" by Paul Levinson

Short Stories
"The Deer Girl Hitches a Ride" by Sarah Frost
"Fear Response" by Lesley L. Smith
"Oedipus at the Sperm Bank" by Joel Richards

Science Fact
"Homesteading the Stars: Colony vs Crew" by David Livingstone Clink

Departments
Guest Editorial: "Hacked Off" by Edward M. Lerner

The Alternate View: "The 2013 Starship Century Symposium" by John G. Kramer

A good issue with a good guest editorial about cyber espionage and hacking and also an interesting fact article about the feasibility of the classic idea of the colony ship headed for the stars. None of the shorter fiction was really impressive for me, but I enjoyed very much the first part of the serial 'Lockstep' by Karl Schroeder. The concept of this interstellar community is quite different and the plot sounds like it might ramp up quite nicely. I'm looking forward to following the story through. As usual the book review section outlines some interesting sounding books that have increased the length of my 'to read' list (it's long enough already), and there are some good letters to the editor too. I would've given another star had the short stories been more to my liking. Overall a satisfying read, but I guess you'd expect that after all these years.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment