06 June 2013

BOOK REVIEW: Weird Space: The Devil's Nebula by Eric Brown

Weird Space: The Devil's NebulaWeird Space: The Devil's Nebula by Eric Brown
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

Best-selling author Eric Brown has created a brand new shared world for Abaddon Books: Weird Space. This thrilling space-opera series will begin with the release of The Devil's Nebula. Brown will introduce readers to the human smugglers, veterans and ne’erdowells who are part of the Expansion – and their uneasy neighbours, the Vetch Empire. When an evil race threatens not only the Expansion, but the Vetch too - an evil from another dimension which infests humans and Vetch alike and bends individuals to do their hideous bidding, only cooperation between them means the difference between a chance of survival and no chance at all.

Being such a fan of Eric Brown's work I just knew that I had to read this book. The synopsis sounded fantastic and the story didn't disappoint.

It's set in a new universe created by Brown who will write the first couple of books in the series.

The book starts straight into building the backdrop for this saga about the alien Weird and their desire to invade, conquer and control space around them. The world building is really good for a short book and certainly sets up an interesting canvas on which to paint the story, and the plot is really cool and quite fast moving. I loved the alien creatures and their descriptions which enabled me to visualize the scenes easily. There's lots of action, some of it a bit gory.

The characters are typical 'space adventure' types with their checkered pasts and demons. Brown always does great characters. My only dislike of the book came from this area, though. I thought that the love interest aspect of this particular story was just too cheesy and didn't fit all that well with the rest of it. But that's just me, I think, and it certainly doesn't damage the book in any way.

Overall this is a really good sci-fi action/space opera novel that I found hard to put down. I'm looking forward to the next story in the series which I've pre ordered.

Highly recommended if you like fun adventure yarns.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment