25 June 2013

BOOK REVIEW: Chopper Ops by Mack Maloney

Chopper OpsChopper Ops by Mack Maloney
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

Not bad for a quick and fun read. The basic concept of a group of seemingly unsuitable misfits brought together for a secret black ops mission is nothing new, and it works as well in this story as anywhere else. There is some nice mysterious plot elements lurking around in the background that we never get to the bottom of but I'm guessing that we will learn more in the following books in this series.
I would have given the book another star had it not been for what I thought were some rather ridiculous details of the story. For example, the modifications made to the choppers to make their controls more like a large transport jet and make it easy for the pilots (who had never flown a helicopter before) to make the transition. Some of these did make a little more sense as the story progressed, but it was enough for me to reflect it in my review.
However, Mack Maloney writes well for this sort of story and his writing flows well and is easy to read. This is the first of his books that I've read, but I do have his Pirate Hunter books waiting for me on my shelf. These may have just jumped up the stack a place or two.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment