19 June 2013

BOOK REVIEW: Asimov's Science Fiction Magazine - August 2013

Asimov's Science Fiction Magazine (August 2013, Volume 37, No. 8)Asimov's Science Fiction Magazine by Sheila Williams
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

A typically good issue, but nothing really leaped out at me this month. Probably the pick for me was ARLINGTON by Jack Skillingstead which tells the story of a chap who dabbles with portals and parallel universes and stuff while flying his small plane around the countryside. It was an unusual story but had a nice feel about it and a satisfactory ending.
I always enjoy reading Robert Silverberg's column and this month he discusses the works of Clifford D. Simak, a golden-era SF author.
THE APPLICATION OF HOPE by Kristine Kathryn Rusch was the feature novella and this was OK, although I'm assuming a familiarity of her Diving Universe stories (which I don't have) would be an advantage here. It was interesting enough to keep me going with it, with some particularly good descriptions of 'foldspace' and how it works, etc. Even though the story didn't grab me, Rusch is certainly a very enjoyable author to read.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment