01 May 2013

BOOK REVIEW: Lacuna: Demons of the Void by David Adams

Lacuna: Demons of the VoidLacuna: Demons of the Void by David Adams
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

This book came as one hell of a surprise. I got it free from Amazon on my Kindle, thinking it sounded interesting but wasn't really expecting much from it. Well, was I in for a shock.

It's an excellent earth invasion/space battle military sci-fi yarn that I couldn't put down. The last time I was this enthusiastic about a book in this genre was with John Scalzi's excellent Old Man's War. This book is nearly as good.

The story centers around Melissa Liao who is a spunky Chinese officer in command of one of three "Pillars of the Earth" - huge space battleships built to seek out and avenge the attack of Earth by a mysterious alien race. It appears that humanity has gained the attention of the mysterious enemy after developing the technology necessary for faster-than-light space travel.

What ensues is a fast-moving and colorful story. The characters are excellent and perfect for this type of story. Melissa reminded me a little of David Weber's Honor Harrington, just with a bit more of a rougher edge. There's technology, aliens, space battles and even a bit of romance and sex as well. Something for every sci-fi action fan. This book is the first in what looks like is going to be a fantastic series.

So, so worth reading. Highly recommended.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment