18 September 2012

Messiah - EVEN MORE great space opera

What: Messiah - Apotheoisis Book 3
Who: S. Andrew Swann
When: Published Feb 2011

The third book in the Apotheoisis Trilogy following Heretics.




The last stand against the self-proclaimed God, Adam, has retreated to the anarchic planet Bakunin-a world besieged by civil war. Humanity's last hope lies with Nickolai Rajasthan, a Moreau who believes that the human race that created his kind is already damned beyond redemption.

This final installment was a very fine finish to an equally fine space opera trilogy. Messiah had a lot more combat action than the previous two books. But what great action!


Again I'm reminded of Hamilton's Night's Dawn Trilogy...a final apocalyptic and epic battle with one of the main characters finding a "way through" to score the ultimate victory. That's more than okay because the climax just seemed to fit so well with the story that had led up to it.

I liked how the author weaved the question of God and faith into the story. Quite well done and those who think about such things will enjoy this aspect. I certainly did.

I particularly enjoyed learning who the Dolbrians were/are. Very satisfying and leaving a few unanswered questions there too. I regret that I haven't read any of the preceding books (Moreau/Hostile Takeover) because I felt that I'd missed some prior background to the story, but this is only a minor frustration. In saying that, I enjoyed this series immensely. I want the story to continue so I can see where the characters go next! It'd be nice to think that there could be future stories in the pipeline...(please).

My hat is off to Mr Swiniarski, what a great job. Not too heavy and not too light - just right! If you like good sci-fi then read this series. Right now I'm on the lookout for the Hostile Takeover books...

Click on the cover image above to read more at Goodreads

No comments:

Post a Comment